Welcome to Fiduciary September. Fiduciary September, established in 2012 by the Institute, is the Institute’s annual month-long special recognition of the vital role of fiduciary duties for investors and the capital markets.
“2016 is a watershed year. The DOL Fiduciary Rule creates an opportunity for a new era of investor-centric advice. An era, today in its infancy, where new products and technology offer investors unprecedented convenience, choice and services.” according to Institute president, Knut A. Rostad. “The DOL and market forces have set the stage for a fiduciary renaissance.”
- September 29, 2016 – Myths and Realities of Investor Distrust: Causes and Cures (Webinar)
A webinar featuring industry leaders discussing research and analysis on investor sentiments on finance, advisors, and robo advisors, as well as concrete practices on what advisors can do to address investor skepticism and distrust.
- September 12, 2016 – What Investors Can Learn About An Advisor’s Conflicts in Form ADV: ‘But Were Not Sure How to Ask’ (White Paper)
An in-depth survey of 135 RIAs and nine large financial services firms examines each business models’ conflicts, disclosures, and representative makeup, which in turn reveal trends on their ability to provide objective advice.
- September 8, 2016 – Fiduciary September 2016 ‘Raising the bar’ and ‘Delivering the promise’ (News Release)
The Institute launches Fiduciary September 2016 in a backdrop where “[t]he DOL and market forces have set the stage for a fiduciary renaissance.” Scheduled events are outlined.
- Investment News — September 26, 2016: Financial industry rhetoric riles DOL officials
Despite years of intense opposition, the DOL rule marches toward implementation.
- Financial Planning — September 19, 2016: 5 hot spots on your Form ADV that reveal conflicts
Relying in part on research from the Institute’s Sept. 12th white paper on form ADVs, Ann Marsh draws attention to five portions of an ADV investors can use to determine if an advisor faces conflicts of interest.
- ThinkAdvisor – September 7, 2016 – Fiduciary September 2016: The Rise of Consumerism
Institute president, Knut Rostad, underscores the importance of transparency and investor education in an age of consumerism. Other leading industry voices reinforce this vital notion.
- Wealth Management – September 12, 2016 – RIAs Are Not Without Conflict
Although the Institute’s Sept 12th white paper reveals that brokerages are far more conflicted than RIAs by an order of magnitude, it is also important to note that RIAs themselves remain conflicted, illuminating just how pervasive the issue of conflicts is within the financial services industry.